Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Revolution

Emma's first stuffed animal
  This post is a little late for my daily posting streak, and it's going to be the first in a while that doesn't have loads of pictures of my little girl.

Anyway, as I stated yesterday, my computer died... I push the power button, and it tries to start, but doesn't fully start.. like a car whose engine is flooded (I think?) engine makes noise but won't turn over!  I tried to salvage what I could, but, motherboards have changed since I built the old beast, and almost none of the components are compatible with the new computer excluding hard-drives (they were all SATA) So, as soon as the computer died, I spent a few hours on Dospara.jp looking for new parts to build a computer. I put it all together using their website and ordered around 10pm.. I got the parts the next day around 5:30pm!!

  I started building around 7 and took my time making sure I put everything in very nicely and doing a post etc etc. All the parts were delivered correctly and they all worked straight from the box. I didn't have any luck getting an operating system on it yet, but when I get home today I will try to put snow leopard on it using iBoot (from tonymacx86.com)  and the snow leopard DVD I bought last year to try to put on the laptop (that failed btw). I also have a release of windows 8 x32 and x64 as well as Ubuntu 12.10 alpha 3 to try along with ubuntu 12.04 and linux mint 13 ( because alpha 3 is not recommended for day to day use)
About the pc.. She is built in a coolermaster Silencio 550 black case, on the gigabyte z77x-ud3h motherboard with an i7 3700 sandybridge intel chip and 16gb ram (2x 8gb from G.skill), the Palit video card is a 560x TI 1.5gb DDR5 and a 120gb SSD harddisk from AData. All in all, it was a little more than expected but pretty reasonable!
Here are pics:

All of that goes in the case below:

Looks messy!
The monolith case


There's a special woman out there who gave this to me (Mom).


Almost ready to post!

Finished! (that big silver thing cools my CPU)


Time to sleep!

No comments: